Allison - Auburn Hills, Michigan

Life is what YOU make it;

Always strive to do your best

Many of us have grown up hearing that if you do your best, than it is all that anyone could ever ask of you. This I believe, you need to give it your all in everything you do in life by never backing down. “Don’t be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves” (Dale Carnegie). The personal satisfaction and self-confidence that I experience when I know I have given my best effort is priceless. It can’t be bought; it must be earned.

I have grown up having the mentality, will, and determination of always doing the best I can do, especially in sports. I have been swimming competitively on a team since I was eight, and it has really taught me that to be successful, you always have to do your best. At one swim meet, not too long ago, we were easily going to beat this team. You tend not to do your best when you know you’re going to easily beat someone. However, I still gave it my best effort and tried my hardest because I wanted to prove to myself that I still need to go big or go home. By doing this, I showed my personal commitment to what I was doing, and it ended up getting me my best time in that event. By doing your best, you, “Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you” (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

Every time you are doing something, even if you don’t feel like trying, then you should rethink it because everything you do has some kind importance and impact to what you want to accomplish in life. Everything you do will affect you and when you don’t put forth your full effort, you may be disappointed at where you could have been and you will be letting yourself down. So, by not backing down, you will be happier and more successful with the outcome that you will receive. Remember to constantly remind yourself what you want to accomplish in life. Whatever the outcome, it can never be redone; it is permanent and it counts.

In conclusion, the only way that you will truly be happy with yourself is when you try your hardest. I have learned and believe that you shouldn’t be afraid to give your best in every aspect in your life by never backing down. You allow yourself to live up to your greatest potential, see all the wonderful goals you can accomplish, and how far you can go in life. “Successful people aren’t born that way. They become successful by establishing the habit of doing things unsuccessful people don’t like to do. The successful people don’t always like these things themselves; they just get on and do them” (Similar Quotes).