Brittany - West Palm Beach, Florida

On November 16, 1998, my mother was the victim of a massive brain surgery. This was the scariest year that I have ever faced in my life, and I was only eight years old. As a family of four one by one we all noticed her massive headaches. I thought to myself: why would a woman of such strength, dignity and love let just a simple headache hold her down? My mother is a hardworking and inspirational woman who gives the best advice. I always thought of her as superwoman because, she pretty much could do everything. She was also the first to lend out a helping hand.

It was almost unbearable to see my mother go through so much pain and suffering from these headaches. I would watch her day in and day out lying down just to rest her head. I confronted her about it but as usual she gave the famous I am a nurse speech. I just couldn’t believe the situation I thought that it was so odd for my super mom to feel so ill. Since my mom wanted to deny the fact that she knew something was wrong, I approached my father with the matter. He too thought that as a family we should all try to talk her into seeing a doctor.

On November 10th my brother was offered to participate in a sweet sixteen. My mother was also invited, plus she wanted to take pictures of him and his date. My brother noticed that my mom had stepped outside of the ballroom. He ran after her because he automatically knew that it was her headache. My mother almost collapsed, he had just gotten his license and immediately lifted her up and sat her in the car. Before he started the car he called to report the incident. He explained that all our mom was saying was know stay I don’t want you to miss the party, I’ll be fine. He didn’t take no for an answer.

On the way there our mom was know complaining about a massive headache and started to cry. My father and pulled up to the hospital the same time as they did. We rushed her into the hospital and the doctor took her immediately. The nurses took her in to run a cat-scan. As the doctor began to approach us the look on his face my body started to shake. Our faces were cold because we had know idea of what to expect. The doctor explained to us that my mother had a brain tumor the size of a grape on her left cortex. I began to cry, I was so confused because I never had anything hit me so hard in a long time.

The doctor recommended that we switch to a hospital that specializes in brain surgery. He recommended Mount Sinai. The next day we switched hospitals in Manhattan. The surgery kept getting postponed due to other surgeries. The nurses treated my mother with great respect because she used to me an R.N as well. A week later the surgery was performed. During the surgery another tragic incident occurred when the surgeons found another tumor behind the first. I didn’t know what to expect when it was time for my mother to wake up. Would she remember me? Would she remember her friends and relatives? There was so much to ask but such little time. When my mother finally woke up she saw flowers and chocolate all over her room.

The doctor came in to check up on her and told us that she is going to have to relearn almost everything. We were just so excited that she made it. For about three months we pushed to get our mom back on track! She had help from all the neighbors, family and friends. Today my beautiful mother is back to normal and even better. My mother looks beautiful with out a scratch from her surgery. Know one could even imagine that this incident happened to my mother, because she looks even better than before! My mother’s recuperation was remarkable, and we thank God for her everyday. I have learned many lessons from this tragedy. Live your days to the fullest, because you never know when it might be your last.