Kanika - New York, New York

I believe in kindness. Why do people in this world choose to do otherwise? Think about what a simple and peaceful world it would be if people only shared and expressed words of kindness, and actually meant them. I am not a hippy, nor am I out to change the world; I am simply stating a truth I discovered recently. I am sure you have all heard to be kind before, but you only really learn it when you are a witness.

I was sitting and observing actions that happened in just one forty-minute free period I had recently. Within that single free period I saw at least five acts of hatred occur. Now before I get into this story I would like to share that I myself have also expressed hatred and have not always been kind to the people I interact with. The most amusing part of the story I am about to tell, is the fact that during the whole length of the observation, I was listening to my Ipod. This is amusing to me because it shows how easily, without even hearing, I could identify unkindness.

At approximately 12:10 pm three girls entered the student lounge. Two of them were obviously close friends and one was quickly trailing behind them. The girl trailing behind simply said a short sentence to both of them, with a smile on her face. The two close friends rolled their eyes at each other, and I could tell that one responded to the sentence said. The girl trailing behind’s beautiful smile quickly turned into a frown and a remark of nervous laughter, but I could tell and so could the two close friends, that this girl’s day just become worse.

After this experience I could only think to myself, what did the two friends accomplish by making that mean response to the poor girl who was obviously trying to impress them? Did it make them feel better about themselves? The Dalai Lama said, “When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.” I think that neither of those two things happened in this situation. This theory by the Dalai Lama is something I will probably live by for the rest of my life. I will always remember the embarrassed and sad look on that girl’s face, and how people intentionally tried to be unkind, and hurtful, when they could have been kind and just made everyone feel better.