Dayna - New Paris, Ohio

This I believe

When I was a young girl, I dreamed about being a veterinarian-technician. I used to go down to the local animal hospital and watch surgeries and help clean the kennels. My mother babysat a two year old girl whose mother was the veterinarian of that clinic. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. When I was a junior in high school, I went to a vocational school for animal care and technology for two years and I absolutely loved it. I received a certificate for veterinary-technology and I started working at a local exotic veterinary clinic. I thought I was going to do that for the rest of my life.

My world completely changed when my Grandpa Jim went to the hospital when he had a stroke one night. He couldn’t talk and he was bed bound. He got better enough to go to the local assisted living facility for rehabilitation when shortly after fell out of bed and suffered severe head trauma. He died at Miami Valley three days later. This was a huge turn in my life. I had seen what the nurses were doing in the hospital and I thought to myself, “My Lord, these people love what they do and do it awesome.” I had gone through some things while working at the exotic veterinary hospital that made me think twice about my career decision. For the first time in my life, I had changed my mind about my career.

I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I knew that I loved to educate people. Education was one of my favorite things to do while working at the veterinary hospital. I felt so much gratification when I helped a person take better care of their animal. I was very confused one night and I had a lot on my mind. I was taking the back roads to home and it was raining very heavily. I pulled the car over for a few minutes and thought to myself, “What do I want to do for the rest of my life?” It came to me like an epiphany, nursing. For the first time, I thought about helping people. I thought about the nurses at the hospital and how they helped my family through my grandfather dying. They were their for the most part helping us cope through my grandfather’s death and they were always there to answer questions. I enrolled into Indiana University’s school of nursing a couple months later.

While in the program, I had thought twice about my career move. I thought to myself, “Do I really want to be a nurse, and do I really want to go through the stress of school again?” I had this subject on my mind until recently when I visited a Nursing home for one of my clinical experiences. I thought I would absolutely dislike helping geriatrics, but in all actuality, I loved it. I was in the Alzheimer’s Unit and I watched the way the people communicated to each other. One of the memories that some of the residents had was about their animals they had at home. Several of them had pictures of their cats and dogs hanging on their board and when I asked about them, I had received a long story about of much they loved their animal.

That’s when it dawned on me; I then on knew exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to start my own pet therapy business and visit local nursing homes and hospital’s to help with the coping process for people of all ages. While I was in the nursing home, I saw how much these people missed their dogs and cats. This one lady got so excited when I asked her about her cat. She thought of that cat like it was a family member. When people are in their worst possible shape, what would be better then a wet nose to the face?

That is exactly why I chose the nursing profession, to help people, to educate people, and to incorporate everything that I have learned from animal care into helping people cope with some help from animals. There is a reason in my life and this I believe is to help. God always has a purpose in life for every one. He makes us go down several paths and shows us what we are capable of. I opened my eyes and saw a path and I chose nursing.