Karen - Evans Mills, New York

I am a soldier’s wife. I go without my husband so that you may sleep peacefully at night. Military wives have just as much responsibility as the service-member serving. We are the backbone of our men who are fighting. I believe we are what makes the military keep working by supporting our men and women both while they are here and deployed overseas.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night, when it is still dark outside, not even a bird chirping, knowing that this is the moment you have been dreading for months. I will be utterly alone and heartbroken for a year until he returns back to me. You dress your small child knowing that this is the last time daddy will see him for a very long time. Your child does not know what is going on; just that something isn’t right and something is very, very wrong. Life as you know it will not be the “normal” life you lead from this point on.

I am a soldier’s wife who believes military wives have one of the hardest jobs around. We sacrifice so much for our country along with our men and women who defend it. I spend countless hours hoping to catch a glimpse of my loved on maybe online to send a quick instant message to.

I am a soldier’s wife whose job is very hard. I run my house, I sleep alone, I tirelessly clean and run my house to the best of my ability. There is no family around to lend a helping hand, but family now is the neighbor who is going through the same grief and despair as you are. The will to go on each and every day is very painful. There is constant worrying and wondering if your loved one is ok, or if you’ll get to speak to them again. At the end of the day I put a big X on the calendar knowing one day is down, yet another 364 more to go.

I live for e-mails and the phone calls home. Can you imagine feeling two inches tall when you miss that all too important and far between phone call while you are merely outside taking the dog out, or to get the mail? Imagine knowing that it could possibly be the last phone call you will get for another month, or that god-forbid it could be the last one you may ever get.

I am a soldier’s wife who may not say much, but I have so many pent up feelings about anything you may say toward the military. I believe our soldier’s are over in other countries defending everything that we stand for, yet that a lot of us take for granted. Your freedom of speech to voice your opinions to me are the very things my loved one is fighting for.

I stand beside our country just like my husband does. I look freedom in the eyes each and every day knowing he is fighting for it to keep all of us safe.

I believe this war we are fighting for as a nation is justifiably caused. Thousands of lives were lost during September 11, 2001. This is a war my husband has stood up for not only for himself but for the United States. He proudly has served for 14 years with never a single doubt in his mind that this is what he loves to do. I stand beside him, and we both stand behind our country. As President George W. Bush said in his address to the nation on September 11, 2002 “What our enemies have begun, we will finish.”

I’m a soldier’s wife who believes that our military does not get enough credit for the things that they do. We are the first to see the bad that our military does, but we never look at all the good things that our men and women do as well. Not only do our men and women deploy overseas to different countries, but they were also there to lend a helping hand during catastrophic Hurricane Katrina. There is a big misconception that our military gets paid a lot of money. We do not. There are a lot of us military families who are indeed on food stamps, can not pay our bills, and are struggling to raise our children just as if we were out in the civilian world.

I believe military wives have a very challenging role to play both mother and father when their loved one is deployed. Small children do not understand the concept behind a deployment and often wind up lashing out at the parent who is left behind to continue raising the children. As a mother, now everyday is a constant struggle to make my child understand that daddy is doing his job and daddy will be soon just as soon as his important job is done.

I believe that supporting our troops is an important duty that every American has to show their appreciation for what our service members do and what they sacrifice. They spend countless days away from home and often they miss birthdays, anniversaries, and in some cases the birth of their first child. Their job is filled with sleepless nights, emotional stress, and physical exhaustion, but throughout it all, they persevere to protect and defend their country. Morale at times is low over there, but with the simple yell of mail call and letter from home things somehow seems a little bit better. They put their lives on the line for an entire country twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year and that is the noblest job anyone could ever have. No matter what your feelings are towards this war, it is only fair to respect and support those Americans and their families who choose to defend our freedom and values that are sometimes taken for granted