Clayt - Erie, Pennsylvania
Themes: courage

I believe in a good pair of gloves. After an early morning, all day meetings, and coming home… finally, to coo a teething, infant son, the dog needs a walk. With new snow and an icy path ahead of us, we turn north toward the bay, my black Sheppard checking her mail while I fight for footing…the thoughts come…

· Did I change the cat box? If I didn’t, I need to.

· Their roof looks sturdy, maybe we should use those type of shingles next year, if we can afford it

· What would Dane say if he saw my life now? …old friends are the dearest, but some get lost on the way

· Heck I forgot to send that presentation out! Maybe I should get online tonight..

WHOAAA…nearly fell there! Ice under the snow. Yeah, four legs aren’t any better on ice than two are they pup?

· Atticus, my young son, will we be able to afford college for you in 18 yrs? Time get shorter, sooner these days…

Certainly cold out here, glad I’m dressed warmly…

· (sigh)…I’m afraid. I’m afraid from my country, for our future, and for our place in the world. Whether it be Global Climate Change, persistent war, or trillions in debt, you truly can choose a horseman for every day of the week. Neither the Marine Corps nor an Ivy League Masters prepared me for the mind numbing, soul wrenching fear these hold…(pause)…So where is the truth?

No, no…not tonight pup. I know the park is that way…its pretty late Abby-girl and I’m tired. Maybe tomorrow night…this way.

· The Truth? Courage… Courage… Facing terrors and not allowing them to overcome you. Courage like Elia had on his final patrol in Iraq…funny how often I think of him. A fallen friend, three years now is it? He left a son and wife…like I have now…

OK girl, time to head home. Its snowing heavy now and tomorrow comes early…

· With so much horror in the world, so much fear, it really is courage, which we need these days. If we, as a people, refuse to sacrifice ourselves to the fears of this world, refuse forsake our liberty to the terror, finding to the courage to face our fears, we may make it through these troubled times. Much like a good pair of gloves on a winter evening, courage empowers us to brave the cold of the dark night… its courage I must teach my son. If no other lesson takes hold on him, courage must…

I’ve got to remember to get some good gloves; these I’m wearing are worn thin…