Elizabeth - Rochester Hills, Michigan

Carb Queen

“C’mon Liz. It doesn’t taste that bad at all. Just think that you are eating pasta!” I shoved the gruesome vegetable down my throat. The rough skin of the vegetable scrapped against my tongue, and left it feeling like sandpaper. As I forced myself to swallow, I felt a tingling sensation in my cheeks, as if I were about to vomit.

“Gross!” I shouted before I could take a breath.

“You haven’t even tasted it yet. Actually chew the food and you might possibly like it,” my mom said persuasively.

“Fine, I’ll do it.” I tried the vegetable again, and chewed it reluctantly.

“Well?” My mom obviously wanted a positive response.

“It’s actually not that bad! I guess I don’t hate carrots.”

For years during my childhood, I was the pickiest eater I had ever known. From eggs, to ham, and even chocolate, I hated it all. The only thing I would eat, and eat a whole lot of, was pasta. In fact, my mom would aggravate me for being the “Carb Queen” because of my love for pasta. As the years progressed, I was faced to eat foods that seemed terrible just because I was too scared to try them. I decided to conquer my fear, in a sense, of trying different foods. Now, I absolutely love chicken, salad, eggs, fruit, and ham, among other things. I learned the great tastes that come from a variety of food because I actually tried them. In general, people need to experience life before they can judge it.

Life is a beautiful thing, and I know that from experience. Life brings friendship, change, love, unity and diversity. Even a little thing like trying new foods is essential. If someone were to say that he or she hates sky-diving because it’s dangerous, he or she wouldn’t know if it truly was a terrifying stunt unless that person tried it out. They might enjoy themselves and find skydiving exhilarating if that person were to just try it.

I was simply wrong when I said that I hated carrots. I wasted years of denying foreign foods because of my cowardliness. Patrick Henry once stated, “I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging of the future but by the past,” which explains that you need to base your life and your opinion on life on experience. From my experience with trying new foods, such as carrots, I discovered the beauty of sustenance. So I have redeemed myself from being the pickiest eater. Now, my family has no reason to constantly tease me for just eating pounds of pasta.