Bree - Wellington, Florida

I believe that one shouldn’t always assume something or someone will always be around. As cliché as that might sound I have experienced it first hand. I have never known life without my dog, Toby. He was as old as I was. Sadly, he has past away recently.

One day, I came home from school and normally when I walk in the door Toby jumps up and runs towards me anxiously awaiting my arrival but on this day it was different. I peaked around the corner to see him lying on the floor lifelessly. Instantly I ran to his side to see if he was okay, luckily he was still breathing. He slowly and uneasily got up. He was very unsteady and couldn’t stand up straight let alone walk by himself. I helped him out the door and held him up as he did his business; my heart sank as I felt his shaking body. He had been acting strangely the past few weeks but it was obvious that his health had quickly deteriorated.

When my parents got home I had told them about his strange behavior and my dad immediately took him to the vet. My mom, sister and I sat at home waiting by the telephone hoping Toby would be OK. The phone rang and my sobbing mother answered. My dad was on the other end and the news he was about to tell her was clearly not going to be good. He said that as soon as he walked into the waiting room, Toby collapsed. The vet scooped him up and brought him to the back. She came out moments later to announce his death.

I didn’t really get to say goodbye to Toby, because I just figured he would be okay, him dying never even crossed my mind. I can remember being really young and seeing him for the first time, his ears were huge compared to his little body. This was the first death I have ever experienced, I am so blessed to have all of my family yet I can’t even imagine having to go through something like this ever again, I was an emotional wreck. These days people take things for granted and I too am guilty of that at times but sometimes it takes something significant happening in order for it to set in.

This ordeal only brought my family closer. Although it was one of the hardest things I have ever gone through it has made me stronger. I realize now that nothing lasts forever. I must say, Toby lived a good life and he is terribly missed. As I sit here telling myself not to cry, I look up to see what remains of him in a little box and I know he was not taken for granted. I’ll see you again someday, Toby.