Hope - Richmond, Indiana

I believe that the public’s image of nursing is that he or she is the step stone of the healing process. Nurses are seen as the doctor’s helpers. They are also seen as being as the submissive one to the doctor. The nurse is often seen when there is a problem. If interventions such as cleaning wounds, IV medications, or even shot are administered. Nurses are often betrayed on television as the one who gives advice, their own personal advice, and not keeping their personal opinions to themselves. Their personal feelings are always interfering in the way the patient is being cared for. They are often shown as none caring. There is a lack of universal precautions such as washing their hands between patients and performing invasive procedures without proper personal protective equipment. Sounds such as IV pumps beeping have been used to replace the sound of a heart monitor in the shows. The HIPPA law is frequently broken and there are no repercussions for the health care professional who has broken the law.

The desired professional role model, who is employed as a nurse, keeps their own personal feelings to them selves. It is not ethical for myself as a nurse to influence or try to influence a patient in making decisions regarding their own health. If the patient takes my opinion as the nurse and later on is not satisfied with the choice they made, then I, the nurse could find myself being blamed for the patient’s dissatisfaction. That is an awkward position for me as a professional to be in. It may also result in legal problems, such as being sued, for myself and the hospital.

The desired role for me as a nurse is to facilitate the use of universal precautions. It is a protection for the patient as well as myself as a health care professional. It guards against the contraction of different viruses such as HIV, Hepatitus A & B, and unknown or uncommon virus’s that may come from other countries. Equipment such as gloves, goggles, gowns, and simple hand washing techniques in between patients can decrease the spread unwanted bacteria and disease.

As desired professional myself as the nurse should be knowledgeable about sounds coming from a machine. What those sounds mean is very important. If the heart monitor is going off and the patient is flat lining and the I as the health care professional checks the IV pump, the result could mean the death of a patient. A potential law suit could once again immerge.

The HIPPA law is a very important factor in patient confidentiality. I as a health care professional should only discuss my patient with the doctor caring for that patient and with only other health care professionals who will aid me in caring for this patient. Family members who are inquisitive need to understand that without the consent of the patient, I could not give out any information about their family member.

It is very important that I as a nurse care for each individual client as I’d like to be cared for, or as I would like one of my family members to be cared for. It is important that I remember to give holistic care to each one of my clients and to follow rules and procedures as outlined by individual hospitals. It is vital to do these things because it could slow down the process of the clients getting well or even the death of my client. That in return affects my coworkers who are possibly working underneath me, or the co- workers who may be supervising me. It puts the hospital at risk for lawsuits and me at risk for losing my job and or my license.