John - Tauranga, New Zealand

A Short Essay on Creativity

A philosopher once said that if you can imagine an infinitely big circle you would, in fact be looking at a straight line which joins at both ends. A hard concept to grasp by any standard, but the essence of creativity none the less.

The circle, being infinite, would encompass all things. All things being a small part of what lies within the circle.

You, being one thing that exists within the circle are unique in that you have the ability to be creative. Whether you choose to create a painting or a song or a verse, a mix on the decks or a good old oh so la meo in the shower, you are trying to describe reality from a certain point of view. Now try to realize that the circle, being infinitely big, should be visible to us seeing how it’s, like, every where dude! Not so alas.

You see, if the circle was emitting light for instance, we’d never see it, because, being infinitely far away, it would take the light infinitely long to get here. Now try realizing; that everything within the circle would be either, far from or near to each other, but always the same distance from the circle, Infinity.

Like, did that dude totally just, explain infinity? ,…?

No I did not. I am simply being creative with a great philosophers Idea.

Nicholas of Cusa, by the way, was the dude who created the “Infinite Circle” concept… he was, totally in The Renaissance dude!

So, if I can be creative and write an essay and you can be creative and realize something that’s beyond understanding we have a Paradox. How can we even think about something that’s beyond understanding?

It’s impossible to know for sure what any particular person was thinking when they created a painting or a song or a verse and yet they manage to describe something to us. I’m describing something to you but you are creating your own concept of what I’m describing. Everybody has the ability to be creative. Sure some peoples ideas seem to be based on premise’s that are beyond understanding, but you can’t truly understand some one else’s mind, you create a concept of that person and compare it to your own experiences. The artistic creative process is similar, in that the artist creates a concept and invites us, through their medium, to create our own ideas.

It’s all about Creation dude…!

Back to the circle. I said that us, as things within the circle are unique, in that we are creative. But what of the circle, itself? What if the circle could create ideas? Haven’t we already realized that anything to do with the circle would be infinitely so and hence not understandable?

But what if the circle was an artist? Wouldn’t it be able to describe to us, through some medium we can perceive, what the concept was? The possibilities are infinite remember?

Nicholas of Cusa was describing a concept he had of God by the way. Maybe God is an artist! WO!… Did that dude totally just, describe God?

NO I didn’t. I simply described a concept I have in a medium you can understand, remember? Jeez Louise… pay attention.

A fool, I think, is someone who won’t take good advice from someone because they have created a negative concept of that person. It’s still good advice !

So take some good advice. Be Creative. ©?