Sarah - glendale, California
Themes: nature, pleasure

I believe in water………….I am happiest when I am all wet.

I told my husband, the person who knows me the best in the world, that I had been thinking a lot about what I believed in. An important and timely question as I marked the 2 year anniversary from my breast cancer diagnosis. He looked right into my eyes, a knowing smile creasing his face and said “yes” that is perfect – water has the perfect symbolism for you – for how you think.

He almost made it all the way back in the couch, settling comfortably with the new understanding he has of me – now that we have waded through a good part of all the pain and fear and anger that cancer brought into our lives and our marriage. But he didn’t quite make it. No, I said. No symbolism. I mean I just believe in water.

I believe in being wet.

Wet in the city where I grew up……… Seattle –where water on my skin feels like home

Wet in the warm embrace of a hot scented bath.

Wet in the slow touch of rain drops chasing tears down my face.

Wet in the ocean, swimming blind because the tide has churned up all the sand.

Wet in Hawaii where it is hard to tell if you are wet since the line between humidity and rain is perfect and invisible.

Wet in a moonlit pool at midnight chasing a sleepless night away with each stroke.

Wet from the splash of my friend’s paddle while we skim the water in double kayak, both facing the sunset so that we can say anything without caring about the tears we are adding to the ocean.

Wet – well trying to be wet – to win the contest to drip the most sweat on the gym floor while I ride spin cycle each week with my new strong friends whose lives have all been touched by cancer.

Wet in the shower – to start each day new and clean.

Yes – I am happiest when I am wet, soothed, warm, clean sweaty and wet!