Chelsie - Tipton, Indiana

I believe that there is power in prayer. Every since I was a young girl, the religion in our household was Christianity. My parents were very adamant about it. They were constantly telling my brother and me to pray to God; for forgiveness, for strength, for courage, for understanding, for healing and many other aspects that occurred in a persons daily life. And now, I’m here to say that I truly believe that there is power in prayer.

I can remember countless nights when I would struggle with my homework and sit at the kitchen table and cry because I could not figure out an answer. That’s when my best friend, my encourager, my mom, would come and give me a huge hug then tell me to pray and ask God if He would please give me the wisdom to know how to do that particular assignment. Shortly after I would pray, I remember time and time again “it” happened. It was like someone turned on a light in my once darkened mind. Someone made clear what used to be clouded and foggy. That someone was God. The assignment that I once could not figure out how to do was suddenly easy and got done in no time. Some people might have looked at this as just a coincidence, but I looked at it as so much more. I looked at it as the Lord in heaven heard my prayer, then answered it.

I can remember another time when the power of prayer came at a crucial time. My father had been sick for about a week. He finally went to the doctor and was told that he had a kidney stone that needed to be passed. To mom, dad was her husband and her best friend. To my brother and me, dad was our hero and our provider. To all of us, he was the man of the house who was never sick. To actually see him ill for once killed all of us. Especially because my dad then had to go to the emergency room after seeing the doctor. His fever became extremely high and he became toxic because of the kidney stone. That’s when we decided to turn to God for help. We knew that what we needed to do was lay hands on my father, as a family, and ask God to rid his body of the kidney stone that was making him sick. What happened next was what we had all been waiting for, especially dad. After countless hours of seeing him in excruciating pain, “it” happened. During the night, dad finally passed the kidney stone that had been making him so sick. That night the statement that kept echoing in my mind was, “There is power in prayer.”