Steven - Los Angeles, California

Today Bill Clinton is visiting the UCLA campus to talk about an energy proposition on the California November ballot. I normally am not one for political meetings, but I really wanted to see Clinton up-close-and-personal, and I was interested about what he had to say about the controversial bill that creates a state bureaucracy to monitor and support clean energy in California. I got to the area where the ex-president would be speaking, and as I expected, there were throngs of students already waiting expectantly. Luckily, I’m six feet and five inches tall, so I sauntered over to the main area, ready to peer over the shoulders of my vertically challenged peers. When I got there, though, and I looked past the students to the stage area, all I could see were the video cameras from local news stations and publicity campaigns. So I guess I won’t be able to see Bill Clinton after all. As I sit typing this on my laptop, listening to sterilized funk music being played over the P.A. system to try and ‘hype’ up the crowd, I can’t help thinking that maybe my generation (one that might be labeled ‘generation-I’ for internet as well as an unflinching focus on the self at the expense of others) would be more excited, less apathetic about politics in general, if we could get a better look at our public figures in person than we could get sitting at home from the comfort of our L-shaped couches on our TVs, personal computers and hand-held electronic devices. This I believe.