Chantel - Carmichaels, Pennsylvania

I believe in the No Child Left Behind act set up by President George Bush. Too many children are separated by self-doubt and low expectations. There is no reason for this. The world is changing everyday around us. If you can not keep up you are literally left behind. As a school age child this is worse. Starting at such an early age you are already behind everyone else. The public schools just looked the other way and helped push the others forward, ignoring the fact that some were not with the group. It should not be this way.

It is the teachers and public schools responsibility to correct this problem. If each and every child is not getting the most out of the school process then the school fails. If the schools fail then who knows where else we will fail as a country. By succeeding in educating the youth of today, we have accomplished educating the adults of the future.

Recent studies show that 70 percent of today’s inner city fourth graders can not read at a basic level (Foreword by President George W. Bush). State government deserves the most blame for this problem. However the federal government should not ignore this problem either. For hundreds of years federal government has been making policies regarding the education system. This sounds wonderful. The only problem with this is that the federal government sets up programs and makes policies but never follows up with it. They never look back and see if anything has changed. These changes may have actually made the school worse but nothing is done to fix it. The federal government has spends billions of dollars a year on education just to fall short of the goals that they set. There is still to big of a gap between the rich and poor; and between the Anglo and the minorities.

The no child left behind program is set up to accomplish many things. One of which is to increase accountability for student performance. This means that schools that can improve their achievement levels will be rewarded for doing so. Parents will be informed of how well there child is doing by assessment tests given in certain grades in school. The second that this program should accomplish is to focus on what works. This means that more of the federal money will be spent on research based programs. This will help to improve the schools and the quality of teachers. The third thing that this program wishes to accomplish is increase flexibility in the school system. This means that the funding will be flexible instead of fixed. This will also goes into effect at the local level as well. The fourth goal of this program is to empower parents. This means that the parents will know the proficiency levels of the school in which their child attends. I believe that U.S. Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings said it best when she said, ““our nation said it would no longer accept a public school system that educated only a portion of its children” (Colby).