Mariah - Elk Grove, California

I believe in being an agent of change. I believe that by encouraging, and acting on the change you want to see in the world, you can make more of a difference then just talking about it. Many people just sit around and talk about the changes they would like to see or complain about what others are doing wrong. Many of these people want change but often think that someone else will do it first or they’ll get to it some day. If everyone has this attitude nothing will ever get done. If only they knew that the key to achieving the change you want to see in the world begins with creating change within yourself.

A great English teacher once told me “you must be the change you want to see in the world” and it wasn’t until I really thought about it, did I begin to understand. Just like the quote says you can’t expect the world to progress unless you are personally ready to help change it. Nothing will get done if we point fingers and try to figure out who caused the problems.

By not acting on ideas to change problems, we also start to set bad examples to the younger generations and those to come. Personally I think people are right when they say that America is one of the laziest countries because the majority of Americans blame their problems on others. By not taking ownership for the mistakes we’ve made we are teaching our children that nothing is their fault and therefore they don’t need to make an effort fix it. For example, many people blame all the nations problems on President Bush. President Bush is a person just like us and as much as we’d like him to, he can’t erase our problems. We, as a country, need to pull together and do our best to solve the problems we can instead of complaining.

Although it might take a while for people to understand this concept, I think that it’s worth trying to relay to all people. Once people realize that change can’t happen until they want it badly enough to do something, the world can truly start to become a better place.