Laura - California, Pennsylvania

I believe that informing the public about animal rights is important. The view that society has of animals is quite different then the reality of how some animals live. Unfortunately, some animals have to deal with abuse, becoming homeless, and losing their lives. Animals don’t have it as easy as people would like to believe. I believe that it is important that people realize the hardships that animals are forced to endure. It is important to know what you can do to protect them.

One of the ways in which people can help animals is by donating to charities or organizations that help animals. Donating is a simple and great way of helping animals. The money donated is able to provide animals with a safe shelter, a good meal, and a chance at a new life. Donations help to keep the shelter environments accessible to the public and safe for the animals inside. It is vital to realize that animals are just as important to this world as any other person.

The second way that you could help animals is by way of adoption. Everyday shelters are packing in as many dogs, cats, birds, snakes, turtles, and other animals as possible. These animals need a loving home and someone caring to be with. That person might just be you. Animals can bring a sense of joy and happiness to peoples’ lives and no one should live without seeing that. Even though you may think that you want to adopt an animal, make sure you realize that it is no walk in the park; animals need love, time, and attention. If you are willing to do all of that then join in the efforts and adopt an animal.

Finally the most selfless act would be to volunteer at a local shelter. Volunteering is another great way of expressing an interest in animals and helping with the cause. The best part about volunteering is that you are able to set your own schedule and come on your own time. This means that you can make a commitment to help the animals by even spending just one day. You can even get the whole family involved and volunteer as a family. Also as a volunteer you could have the opportunity to foster an animal. Fostering is a great opportunity to help prepare animals for a home environment. You as a foster parent will be able to lend a hand in telling people what kind of home a certain animal should be in. Any bit of help that is given to shelters can help a great deal in improving the lives of countless animals.

Being with animals is a rewarding and enjoyable experience. If you take anything from the time you spend with animals it should be that you are not only helping them but they are helping you. Three of the greatest ways of helping animals is donation, adoption, and volunteering. I hope that people learn that they can make a difference and influence others to share this rewarding experience.