Amanda - Fayette City, Pennsylvania

I believe in treating all animals with respect and kindness.

Almost everyday a horrifying news story can be found about an animal that has been neglected, abused, and left for dead. I wonder to myself, “How can a human being harm a helpless animal?” Maybe it makes a person feel superior—an animal cannot talk or fight back against their human attacker. People who neglect animals do not realize they are missing out on an amazing love and friendship.

Growing up, I have always felt an incredible connection with animals. The love and joy an animal can bring to a person’s life is unbelievable. When a person shows an animal respect and compassion, in return, the animal can show a love that cannot be described in words. Nothing is better than arriving home to a wagging-tail, a meow, or even a twitching nose, showing you someone is happy you arrived home.

When I was younger, I made a promise to myself that I must make a life long commitment to helping all animals. I am now in my second year of college under a pre-veterinary medicine major. To help me gain experience with animals, I work at a kennel and volunteer my time at an animal shelter. At the shelter, the neglect and abuse I see in some of the animal’s eyes is horrendous. At the same time, I feel relieved that these animals have found there way to the shelter because they will receive the love they deserve and have been longing for. When a human is abused, they sometimes never trust again; although, an animal is different. By taking the time to show an animal a little respect and kindness can go a long way. After the abuse some of the animals have endured, one would think they could never love again, but these are the animals that have the most love to give.

It does not take a great deal of experience to learn that animals have feelings similar to humans. I believe that those people who are about to slaughter an animal for food, or skin them for clothing, are not seeing the true value of animals. This includes: hunters who are about to kill that animal as part of game, humans who are about to subject an animal to a laboratory experiment, or even a person who is starving an animal. These people should stop and consider the animal’s feelings. And instead of harming the animal, maybe show respect and kindness, this in turn, gives animals a chance to show their devotion and love kept deep down inside.

I believe that all humans need to stop for just one moment, take the time to look in just one animal’s eyes, and realize that this animal has the potential to change someone’s life.