Jamie - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

My Escape Route

Whenever I feel extreme emotions or just if I am in the mood I write poetry. I believe that writing poetry is a good way to express my frustration, anxiety, and other emotions that I may have at the time. There have been so many different times in my life where I cannot talk about how I’m feeling, then end up writing a poem that capture my mood perfectly.

Poetry is considered a literal form of expression. I see it as that but just in different terms. I see poetry as being an escape route for my feelings and emotions, instead of letting them get bottled up, ready to burst at any moment.

There was a time when I felt that my mom wasn’t appreciating me for who I am so I wrote a poem. It is so full of raw emotion that when I look at it I remember vividly just how I felt and sometimes still feel. At first my emotions dripped out of me slowly, but then it got to a point where they began to pour out of me that I couldn’t write the words down fast enough. Once I started I couldn’t stop until I had no more emotions to spill out. By the time I was done writing the poem, I felt a combination of numbness and pain, as if my raw emotions were open wounds that just has salt sprinkled in it. The numbness came from emotions being poured out and not being bottled up. The rawness from emotions being fresh and so recently opened up.

I don’t normally like when other people read my poems. I feel too exposed, as if I’ve walked into a room completely naked. Even though people do tell me I am talented at writing poems, I still feel sensitive whenever someone reads them. I see my poems as being part of me and when someone reads them I feel as if they are getting too close to me; in some way it makes me feel claustrophobic. I mean it’s me expressing my feelings and I don’t really want anyone else to read how I felt in my weakest of moments. I feel kind of violated when someone else reads my poems because it just makes me feel uncomfortable and awkward. I’m also afraid that someone won’t like my poem and think that it’s stupid.

I believe in letting out my frustration, anxiety, and other emotions by writing poetry. Writing poetry is the thing that keeps me somewhat sane and not about to burst from all of my emotions being bottled up.