Casey - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Themes: nature

Wish For Good Things

I believe in that old saying, “Watch what you wish for or it just may come true.” I was coming home from work and I saw these storm clouds out in the distance. I didn’t think much about it other than that a storm is coming through tonight. The closer I got home, the more I noticed that the clouds have been getting darker and a lot bigger. Even the lightning and thundering had gotten worse. I got home and fliped on TMJ4. I was pretty disappointed at what I saw. I was hoping for a big storm. When I was little, I loved when storms came through because that meant I could watch the lightning. The larger that storm the cooler the lightning looked. All the TV said was Thunder Storm watch and it would hit around 10:15pm; it didn’t say whether it was going to be a large one or a small one. I went downstairs and watched some TV. I could hear the thundering getting louder and louder by the passing minutes. I was getting a bit excited. I looked at the clock. 9:50pm. I said to myself, “ Man I would be super cool if lightning would hit our house,”. thought nothing of it and continued watching TV. 10:15pm. If this storm was going to hit, it should hit soon, I thought. 10:30pm. My dad was at work and all my brothers were sleeping now. I turned to the clock once again. 10:35pm.

Time to go to bed. I started walking to my room when a loud KA-POW noise caught me off guard, followed by the whole house shaking. I raced up the stairs. I directed my eyes outside to my back yard. About 10 feet away from my house this large oak tree that has already started to lose its leaves was glowing. I wondered around the house in awe knowing our house was nearly missed by a bolt of lightning. I went to my mom’s room to tell her about what happened; she rus hed down the stairs saying,” No way, NO WAY!”. 10 minutes had passed since I had first looked. I went with her to look at it again and now it was on FIRE. The large flames, smoke and the falling embers. The whole sha-bang. She got on the phone and called 911. 15 minutes later we head the sirens in the distance. But by the time they got to our house, the flame had extinguished its self. When I was watching the tree burn I thought, wow our house could have been hit instead of the tree. My house could have been on fire. My house could of burned down because of what I said or wished. I believe in that old saying, “Watch what you wish for or it just may come true.”