Chris - Florida

My Mother Catherine

“I Love You.”, the most powerful three words that I know. Since I was a young my mother would always remind me that she loved me, and whenever I left her side to go to school or go to a friends house she always said she loved me. That has stuck with me throughout the years and hasn’t changed. I no longer live with my mother but when we talk she still reminds me how much she loves me and when we hang up the phone, the last words are always “I love you”.

I am nineteen years old and am in my second year of community college, a place I don’t think I would have been without my mothers love and support. My mother lived in the small town of Madison, Maine. She grew up with three brothers, all who went to college. She didn’t go to college, she wanted to work instead, not realizing at the time the importance of a college education. My mother was never wealthy but was never out on the streets, she works very hard for everything she has.

A little after I was born she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Cancer. Cancer runs in my family and was a very big scare. She always said that it was me who kept her here. She had many months of kemo therapy and lost all of her hair, she had to wear a wig to my baptism. This time was especially hard on her because I was sent to live with my gradparents in Madison, Maine until she got well.

When I was three my parents got a divorce, from then on we moved around a lot and it was hard to call a place home. One thing I can say about my mom is that she always made sure I had clothes on my back and food in my stomach. She would have given it all for me, she always said “Do good in school, make the grades, then you will never have to work like I do.”

That message has stuck with me throughout my middle and high school years, and now that I’m in college I can say that her love and hard work influenced me, and taught me to do better in my life. I couldn’t ask for a better mother, one who bought me the “cool” sneakers for Christmas, when we couldn’t really afford it. One who could always make me feel better when I was down, no matter how bad I felt. The mom I would sit around listening to old tapes with and look at photos and laugh with. And the same mom who let me throw parties during my senior year of high school, which she gained her reputation as the “bad-ass mom” with all my friends.

I guess the lesson I learned was, with the love and support of someone close to you, you can do whatever you want. Sure I haven’t really done anything but get into community college, but that’s a big deal to me and some others. That means I have achieved something, which means I’m on the road to something bigger in my life. And I thank my mother for that.