Nicole - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Themes: parenthood

Be Careful What You Wish For

I believe that I should be careful for what I wish for. Even though when I wished for something it didn’t come true right away. But sometimes it comes true later down the road, when you least expect it to happen.

In every relationship people argue and disagree about certain things. My parents would disagree on things and they could get loud with each other, but they would never do that in front of me. If they had a problem, they never wanted me to know about it or hear about it. When it was bed time, sometimes I wouldn’t be tired, so when mom and dad would tuck me in bed to go to sleep I would only pretend I was falling asleep. When they would shut the lights off and close my door, I would sit up in my bed and play with either my dolls or my stuffed animals. When mom and dad thought I was asleep, that’s when they would try and work out their problems but sometimes they would get loud with each other about the situation. When I would hear this I would lie down, hold on to my favorite stuffed animal, and wished my parents didn’t live together anymore, so the arguing would stop and everyone could be happy again. Then I would cry myself to sleep.

Years later when I got older I understood that it’s okay if people disagree about things and its okay if they fight once in a while. But I noticed that things started to change around the house. My parents would talk less to each other, didn’t go to as many places together, and they started to eat dinner at different times instead of all together like we’d always done.

About four years ago, I noticed huge changes like my mom and dad would always go in their room and try to work things out. No matter how long they stayed in their room and talk about things, it seemed like nothing was working.

Three years ago my wish as a little kid came true. My parents actually got a divorce. Out of all the wishes I wished for and all the things I prayed for, why did the one wish I thought would never come true actually come true? Sometimes I think that if I didn’t wish for my parents to get a divorce, it would have never happened.

Now my parents are apart, and neither one of them are happy. They both are seeing other people now, but I notice that they miss each other a lot and they notice that them not being together still to this day it hurts me and my little brother a lot. I hate it that my parents aren’t together and now I wish that they were still together. Now I am careful about what I wish for, because even though it might not happen right away, it doesn’t mean it won’t ever come true.