Amber - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Themes: love

True love is when someone loves you with unconditional love. They’re there for you no matter what. Someone to help you through anything and everything. Someone to embrace you. Someone who is the sparkle in your eye. Adults believe that teenagers can’t experience this feeling or don’t know what it is. I strongly disagree. I believe that teenagers can experience true love.

My eighth grade year, I was walking home with my friend, Matt. He was talking to a guy that goes by the name of Doug. Matt had gone up to him and started talking to him. After a few minutes, I went over there to see what they were talking about. It was just small talk though. When we got back to my house, Matt said that Doug thought I was cute. The next few days at school, I started talking to him a little more each day. That Friday night, he had asked me if I wanted to hangout before the football game. Being as excited as I was, I said yes, probably before he was even done asking. As a couple months went by, we got along really well with some petty fights that didn’t ruin anything. I thought nothing could ruin what we had together.

We broke up after a fight, most likely about something pointless–we were only in junior high. During our year together at North Junior High, we didn’t so much as smile at each other in the halls. My sophomore year, after I broke up with a guy (we won’t mention any names here), I sent an e-mail to Doug, just to see how life was treating him. He quickly replied to my e-mail, and we exchanged phone numbers. That was on a Tuesday night. Wednesday, after his football practice, he called me to see if I wanted to go see a movie. I was shocked he even called me to begin with, let alone the next day. I was at Target, so I had my friend drop me off at home, and I got ready. A few minutes later, Doug was ringing my doorbell. It was as if we had just picked up where we left off a year ago. It has been almost a year since we got back together. I couldn’t imagine life without him right now. We can make fun of each other and not take any of it seriously. We can sit there doing absolutely nothing and still enjoy ourselves. Sure adults may say that teenagers can’t experience true love, but I would argue with them till I turned blue in the face.