Kristen - Park Ridge, Illinois

I Believe There’s No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk

In my family I am notorious for spilling. Whether it be picking up the blender without the base and the milkshake cascading out the bottom or dropping an egg on the rug in the midst of baking brownies, my parents have grown accustomed to my many “accidents.” It’s funny how we have a four-year-old in the house, but I am the one who is constantly told twice to be careful when carrying china and to use two hands when holding a full glass. However, because it has become such a regular occurrence, we have come to the theory and belief that there is no use in crying over “spilled milk.”

In addition to the literally meaning, my belief of not crying over spilled milk follows me throughout life. There are so many times when we blow minute details way out of proportion, but all we really need to do is stop and think. Will this really matter in ten years, one year, three months, or even tomorrow? So, I failed a test, I can’t go out this weekend, I have to baby-sit for my sister; in the long run, what does it matter? Take a deep breath, look at the bigger picture, and move on.

I often find myself in situations where all I want to do is sit and cry because I feel so dejected and hopeless. Usually this feeling derives from some drama with friends, a dilemma with school, some bad decision I made, or any other kind of mistake I have done. All I have to do to understand the pettiness of my problems is look outside the little bubble I call my life. We must all realize that there will always be those who have less, those who suffer more, and those who need more. Think of all those in Africa who don’t have sufficient food to eat or water drink, the men, women, and children in Iraq who can’t go outside their homes without constant fear, and even the poor in our cities who have to beg and plead for enough money to buy a simple apple. Now what do you think about your Monday morning blues? Here’s what I say: if you miss the bus, take the next one. If you hit a red light, wait for the green. If you fall down, stand back up. If you spill your milk, pour another glass.

Living by my belief has helped me to grow so much as a person. Without this belief I would not be able to live by the following quote, which happens to be one of my favorites. “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present” (Anonymous). If we are always dwelling on little mistakes, how can we enjoy what’s happening now? Always try to look at the bigger picture and move on when you do come across a mistake. Although it may seem like the end of the world, odds are that it’s not and you are a lot better off than most. So next time you’re mad because you answered a question wrong, think of all those who don’t even have an opportunity for education. When you don’t get what you put on your list for Christmas, know there are children who would gladly take a simple hot meal and warm winter clothes, and next time you spill your milk, please, just think of all those who don’t even have that milk to spill.