Luis - west palm beach, Florida

There have been many things that have occurred in my life, one of which changed my life for a good number of years. I call this curse karma. When I was a young child I hardly paid any attention to my mother’s superstition. She would always babble about karma. “If you do any mischief you will suffer the consequence one way or another”! She would say that God’s wrath would punish me without physically coming up to me and hurting me but in other mysterious ways like being in financial problems or getting sick before taking an important exam.

At the age of ten I think I may have started to believe in her nonsense and quickly found out that all the rubbish she was talking about was the truth if you believed it and I did. I’m not saying that I was a disgusting little brat but I didn’t take many things seriously. It finally struck me; I was lost in my pool of ignorance. I was confused, was I being punished because I didn’t follow directions? Was it because I didn’t take things seriously? Or because I didn’t understand what was going on in the world around me? As time went on I kind of put all of it aside me but still had it floating around my conscience.

Then came the day when karma, at its fullest, came and got me. I don’t know what I did wrong. All I did was chew gum when my mother told me not to; I mean how bad is it to chew gum? The same day I got scolded, my mother took me to her friend’s house as a punishment but not knowing what was in store for me later that night. Supposedly I had to wait for my mother to finish talking with her friends who would take forever and it was also a school night which means if I don’t get enough sleep then I’m doomed next morning. As I was falling asleep listening to their boring conversation I politely asked if I can go rest in the car and the answer was yes towards what I said about school.

So along the way I began thinking about my actions that happened earlier that day and then all of the sudden I tripped on something. I should have looked where I was going but it was pitch black. As I got up I felt a burning sensation in my right arm. As I walked back towards the house, a bright light flashed towards me and then I could see that I was covered in my own blood. Luckily the door was open which let me see my injury, my mother saw me outside crying and wondered what had happened to me and was astonished to see with her own eyes what had happened. She immediately got me in the house as she told her friends to get her paper towels and alcohol.