.... - royal palm beach, Florida

Everyone has best friends, friends and acquaintances. Acquaintances come and go. Hey, no big deal, after all you only talk to them in class when the Spanish teacher has her backed turned. Friends are there some of the time, and at other time’s it seams like there conveniently missing. But in the crowed there are those who stand out. Those friends that are always there. The friends that are almost identical to you in every way. In short the best friends. But even the best of friends fall prey to the sands of the hour glass, and the miles on the map.

My heart pounded with excitement as the plane landed in San Diago international airport. It had been a miserable two years since I had left home. two years since I had left the home I grew up in, the friends I use to play with, and my history in California; now I was back to reclaim them. So much had changed that I barely recognized my home. A new freeway her, a Wal-Mart there, a shopping center here. It’s hard to believe that so much growth had accrued in only two years.

The terrain had changed, but my friends had not. Even though I was in Florida, and they where in California, I still kept constant communication with them. We where in different time zones and we still had maintained our busy lives but we still managed to communicate at least once a month. It was no wonder that I started overloading there phones the second I got off the plane.

I could not help but to remember tall those days we spent together. The summer we all went to camp for a week and I and my best friend tried desperately to row a canoe; and miserable failed. The day when we would attack each other with water guns. We would always go for the eyes, because that’s where the water hurt the most. The birthday parties where we would have a three legged race. All these fantastic childhood memories filled my hopes that the next three weeks, would bring the same joy we had experiences together as children.

Unfortunately as I mentioned earlier the gains in n hour glass and the miles on the map conspired against us. We where to far apart. I had spent too much time away form the group. I would call and call only to de disappointed by cold monotone answering machines. Even when I did get in contact with one of my old friends, they where busy. I had come form the other side or the county, and they where too busy to even stop by and say hi during the three weeks I was there. My old best friend I had even seen in person; but we did not speak. His blank emotionless stairs said it all. He had moved on. I was no longer a friend but rather acquaintance. Was no longer part of the tightly nit group; but an outsider.

Three weeks quickly passed. Not a word from ether one of my former friends. I would have once offered my life for anyone in the group, but now it was clear to me that they would not have done so for me. The same people I once considered great, I now saw as selfish traitors. As I went back to my Florida home I was joyful. I had left the rotting remains of my old friendship in California. Even the best of friendships eventually come to and end this I believe.