jairo - palm beach gardens, Florida

January 6 2001 a day which I learned that I am not invincible, and that pick up trucks can hit very hard.

It was a Sunday at a time when the sun had set down but the night had not come yet. It is said to be the magic hour for most of the vehicle related accidents, there is poor visibility, there are no shadows, most of the cars have not turned their lights on, and its hard to measure how far anything is from you.

My cousins and I were riding our bikes through the streets of Palm Beach Gardens and decided to race the last stretch, which was approximately one quarter of a mile. When I decided to take the head, I wasn’t paying attention to the road and was pedaling hard, feeling invincible, like a champion four blocks away from the finish lime. So there I was crossing a street when all of a sudden I literally flying to the middle of the road. Although I was shaking and felt like a dentist had put anesthesia in my mouth and legs. I didn’t know what to make out of what had happen, until I saw my bike under the pick un truck, then I realized that I was in a loosing side of o match between the pick up truck and my bike.

After processing and understanding the situation, I felt my stomach twisting, and my heart was pounding faster than ever before, it wasn’t because of what happen to me, but instead was because I didn’t know where my cousins were.

I tried to get up to go look for my cousins when all of a sudden I felt that are of my legs gave up and didn’t want to support me any more, so I tried again but this time when I felt own I could see the tip of my big toe touching my knee.

That’s when my cousins came to my help and with other pedestrians to were telling me to stay down that they had called the paramedics.

Ten minutes after the accident there was a loud noisy ambulance parked by my side the lights of it calm me in a way, because I knew that help had arrived. I can still remember a woman with a white shirt and black pants asking me if any parts from my body besides my legs and face hurt.

The paramedics put me in the ambulance and took me to the Saint Mary Hospital, where I was placed in a waiting room after a nurse gave me some pain killers.A doctor that saw me order a nurse to take X rays of my legs and face. After the doctor examining the X rays and determining that it was possible to put my leg back together without having an operation, he put me in a cast that went from my thigh to my toes.

Six weeks was the time for which I had to carry that heavy, cold, and itchy cast. The method that the doctor used didn’t work, forcing him to operate and introduce four titanium rods into my left leg.

The operation was a success and after a month in physical therapy my leg works again. Although at the beginning of the story I felted invincible and didn’t think that it could happen to me, I believe this, I believe that human being are fragile and that we can cease to exist in a matter of minutes, in something as simple crossing the street, just when you least expect it.