Jaden - DEstrehan, Louisiana
Themes: race

“Time To Let Go”

I few times I have visited my aunt at her current job for lunch or just stopping by with my brother. I think she finally found something or somewhere she could stay put. In the office there is a mix of race and ethnicity. Casual conversation started during lunch and then began a heated discussion about race. Does race really matter in the world? That was the question awaiting an answer.

I believe that race is a factor for many things, and depending on your race it could hold you back from many opportunities or bring you closer to them for no real apparent reason other than the lightness or darkness of your skin. Though race is a factor it shouldn’t be an excuse for anyone. No one gets the chance to chose who would be their parents and what race they would be. It’s just something you will have to deal with. Contrary to what many people believe, growing up as an African-American, I prefer black, female was not hard as many people make it seem. From small I was taught that I have to work hard to get what I want in life. I cherish those sweet words now.

I have accomplished many things in my life although my race is black. I never let it stop me. I feel that as a black person I have a duty to always do my best. So many people have fought and died so I could live life without racism and unjust causes. Though I have done so much, there are still people that will pull out the “race card” in a drop of a hat. Personally I believe its TIME TO LET GO. Yes there are still racist people in the world, but that’s their problem. They will feel like that no matter what I say or do.

When I was 9 years old and in the fourth grade I encountered my first taste of racism. I was called a “nigger”. At that time and age I didn’t know the right way to react, all I knew was that that was a very bad word in my house. That night I told my mother about the experience, in tears of course. She told me not to worry and to continue to do what I did on a normal day don’t let it get me down. I did as told and went to school the next day with my head held high knowing I was the cream of the crop. Not letting it faze me or even enter my mind again. I feel the same today. There will always be hate and prejudice in the world. That’s something everyone in life will have to accept.