Carlos - Weston, Florida

Game after game after game, I realize now what’s most important in my life: football (soccer). Is there anything more fulfilling than the perfect volley? Tell me you’ve never dreamed of the immaculate strike, or being part of the moment when a whole nation holds its breath. Tell me that football is not on one common language when the whole planet stops for ninety minutes to be witness to that thing we all understand.

What does soccer mean? “A form of football played between two teams of 11 players, in which the ball may be advanced by kicking or bouncing it off any part of the body but the arms and hands, except in the case of the goalkeeper, who may use their hands to catch, carry, throw or stop the ball.” Yet, to me and many others, it is more than just a sport. It is a way to relax, to get rid of all the pressure the world puts on us.

By playing for Weston Fury, I am working really hard to achieve my dream of becoming a professional soccer player. Going to practice 4 even 5 days a week and playing a game every week, has made realize much.

When I am watching a professional soccer game, I understand how much determination it took players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres and many more to reach this playing level. Both Cristiano Ronaldo and Fernando Torres helped their teams, Portugal and Spain, do well in the 2006 FIFA World Cup. As with me, I help my U-15 maintain control of the midfield during our games.

Although some people say that I may not play well enough to reach this level, I believe that by continuing to play soccer, the best in me will be brought out.

By watching my favorite club I have developed a sense of loyalty and devotion. If I believe in something I will be steadfast; trying to change my opinion is useless. I devote most of my weekends to soccer, since my team has practice every Saturday during the day and on Sundays, we have games and sometimes the games are away so I spend most of my Sunday traveling to and from the game. Given that I have homework to do over the weekend, I have had to become more organized and responsible with my homework.

I believe that soccer brings out the best in me. Others may say it is just a game, but it is about heroes and tribes, loyalty and devotion, our commitment and our belief, our battle and our passion. Feel the fever of the crowd; hear the roar of the faithful…this is my faith.