Linda - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: children

I believe in children.

I have spent my entire life either being a child or working with children. I love kids and I find them to be the most powerful beings on the planet. They have such a unique view of the world.

My 10 year old son will passionately and compassionately argue every injustice – from the extinction of species and cultures to who got the bigger bowl of ice cream. I believe that kind of passion and compassion is what will change the world.

My 8 year old son has the kind of curiosity that drives him to know how everything works. He loves to take stuff apart, especially the broken gadgets that we seem to produce. He also loves to build – with blocks, Legos, boxes, sticks – anything he can, just to see if he can. I believe that kind of curiosity can fix our brokenness.

My 4 year old niece is incredibly creative. She loves to try every set of shoes with every feather boa and every skirt. She loves to use all the crayons, all the markers, all the stickers, all the paints until her art project is just right. I believe that kind of creativity can find the solutions we need.

My 3 month old nephew can stop the world with a smile, a gurgle, or a cry. There is nothing more endearing or heart wrenching to most adults than a baby, they hold such a unique power over us. I believe that if we all knew we were powerful the world would be a better place.

The preschoolers that I teach have an endless zest for life. They live so fully in the moment they are in – be it in the laughter of a joke they’ve told, in the magical pages of a good book, or in the trauma of a skinned knee. I believe that living in the moment is the way we were created to live.

The church kids that I tell stories to are fearless. They are always striving for answers, for the right answers to those difficult questions – answers which I often remind them are in their hearts. I believe that fearlessness when searching for answers is the only way for us to actually find them.

I also believe in my interactions with all of these children.

I believe that kids are constantly reminding me of what I believe, of who I am, of why I was put on this planet. And I believe that my moments with kids can sometimes approach sacredness. I do not know which “I love you”, which version of “Willoby, Wallaby Woo”, which wondering question the kids will carry with them into adulthood. But I know that potential is always there. And that potential is what makes me realize that every time a hand smaller than mine finds its way into mine – I am touching the future. I believe that is the most powerful thing in the world. Because I believe in children.