Cara - Weston, Florida

Heather is my best friend. We do everything together. I can talk to her about anything and everything. Heather is someone I can trust. She will not make fun of me or judge me. Perhaps we got too close, because at one point, I realized we weren’t friends at all.

Heather knew me very well. She knew my likes, dislikes, pet peeves, interests, grades- everything you could know about a person. And I knew everything about her.

Last year we celebrated my friend Mara’s birthday at a restaurant. Heather thanked the waitress by repetitively saying “Thank you SOOO much!” with an exaggerated, obnoxious, annoying tone. She knew it really bugged me when she said that, because I thought it was rude, disrespectful, and immature. When she saw it really bothered me, she said “sorry”, but argued with me and said she could say whatever she wanted. I let it pass- I forgave her- it really wasn’t a big deal.

Soon Heather would look at me and smile every time she said it. Not an “I apologize” smile, but an “I hope this ticks you off” smile- she knew what she was doing- pushing my buttons. She enjoyed seeing me upset.

She made me cry most of the time. Best friends, really, truly best friends do not do things to upset you. I would get angry and explain my feelings to her. It seemed the more time I spent around her, the more vulnerable I became. Why did this bother me so much? Why would my “best friend” want me to be upset?

I’ve learned to forgive Heather. There are more important things to focus our energy on. Through all our ups and downs, I can look past it and realize that one day I’m going to need something from her. I know she’ll be there when I need her.

I believe in forgiveness. Without the ability to forgive, you miss out on so much in life. It takes too much energy to be angry, and it’s pointless to hold onto grudges, because after a while, you forget why you’re upset. I forgive Heather, because no matter what, she’s my friend, and that’s what friends do.