matt - davie, Florida

I believe a book should not be judged by its cover. People should not be judged by how they act, speak, dress, or even what they have done in their past. I feel that it is wrong, and it happens more often than people think. People make judgments based upon other people people’s ethnic backgrounds, skin color and the people that they associate with. For example, if someone is Mexican some people would assume that they now lawns for a living. Or if someone is black and dresses in a current style they are looked at as ghetto. If two guys are hanging out together, some people may assume that they are gay, without knowing them at all. I feel that people should not be judged by who they hang out with.

I am judged in life with how I wear my clothes, how I speak, how I perform in school, and how I act. I am the kind of person that doesn’t really care what people think about me. I do wear my clothes baggy and my shorts below my waist, but that’s just what I like and what’s comfortable for me. Every day of my life my mom tells me to pull up my shorts because people may think that I am uneducated and that I do not care about myself or others. I am not trying to impress anyone with how I dress. I just want to be myself, because that’s all I know how to be.

I believe that I get judged frequently by teachers at school. Even though I work harder than many people I know, I don’t perform nearly as well as they do in school. There are only a few people that actually know how hard I try. Those individuals have accepted me for who I am and have actually been motivators for me. For example when I am about to give up with school they help me get through. I also believe I am judged how I act in class instead of what kind of a person I am. I may act out in class but that doesn’t change how hard I work.

I believe that you shouldn’t judge people by appearance. People judge other people by appearance all the time, without even realizing it. I know I have been guilty of incorrectly judging people, but I have learned from my mistakes and try not to do that anymore.