Gabriela - hollywood, Florida
Themes: afterlife

Is it safe to say that life after death exists? Mundane people, activities, and situations have convinced me that there is more to know after we die. I feel that people’s actions, habits, and inner traits are brought in some way from the life they lived once in the past.

My strong feeling began a few years ago in 7th grade when a classmate came up to me and said “Did you know that if someone is deadly afraid of something, like the ocean, it means their death or a major accident in their past life involves water?” Since then, I have become a little more superstitious and the belief of life after death has been imbedded in my head. Many events and past experiences have chased my mind, and little by little my belief in life-after-death grew.

In 5th grade, I had a puppy for five months, Shirley. Unexpectedly she drowned in our pool, while no one was home. My brothers and I were devastated for weeks. My dad decided it would cheer us up if he bought a new puppy. When my brothers and I came home from school, exhausted and grumpy, the biggest smile crossed our faces, as we saw this small little creature at our doorstep. We named the puppy Cushy. We began to feel like my old dog’s spirit was back. Cushy was deadly afraid of water and hated getting showered. He also would sleep with only my brother and me, just like Shirley did. Could this have been Shirley brought back in another dog’s body? I like to believe it’s she, and every day Cushy seems to amaze me with different traits Shirley had.

A few weeks back, life after death was a topic brought up at the dinner table. My mom knew my strong belief about this, and decided it would be important to tell me an experience in our family. My cousin Jonathan, from my father’s side of the family passed away. His red hair, freckle face, and green eyes brought attention to him everywhere he went. John got sick one day and he began limping on his right leg. The sickness got worse, and a few weeks after he passed away. The family was devastated and sat for 7 days mourning his death. During these seven days, a red haired, green eyed cat limping on his right leg came to the window of my Aunt’s house. My family was in shock, as this cat sat with them, mourning for 7 days. After the 7th day, the cat disappeared. My jaw dropped at the dinner table and my feelings grew even stronger.

Events kept coming up in my life and my passion towards this belief developed by the incident. I researched other’s experiences and read remarkable stories that left me breathless. I was sure nothing like that would ever happen to me, but it did. My father mentioned that my great Grandmother, whom I was named after also was a believer in life after death. She passed away a few years ago. It soon came to my father’s attention that since she passed away, my traits began to change. Things such as the way I responded towards questions or my simple facial gestures were fitting to be like my great grandmothers. I don’t feel any different, and sometimes I don’t understand what my father means. Although I am sure he knows what he is talking about, and his thoughts of my changes to be more like my great grandmother excited me.

I believe in life after death. From simple occurrences, to awe-inspiring experiences, I’ve taught myself that there’s more to life than life itself. Though it can not be proven, life-after-death is something I strongly believe in.