Harrison - Golden Beach, Florida
Themes: fear, humility

The Power of Fear

Fear is often defined as “an unpleasant, often strong emotion caused by an anticipation of awareness or danger.” However, in my opinion, it is to be nervous or scared of what is coming your way. This simple definition has affected every aspect of my life, every move I make, all my actions and all my emotions.

Throughout my life, fear has controlled my actions. This is mostly when I’m playing with the basketball team and during school. When I finally made my middle school basketball team in sixth grade, my coach asked me if I wanted to play starting point guard. Foolishly, I declined the offer out of fear that I would mess up one of the plays, even though I knew them perfectly. Throughout the rest of the season, I played second string to another point guard, even though I was better than he was. Also in school, I am afraid that if I turn people in who cheat off my work, quizzes, and tests I will become unpopular and not liked. Just last week I was accused of helping someone on a test, but I didn’t know there was someone trying to cheat off me, so all I did was take my detention and not tell on him.

Mostly however, in my life, fear has controlled my emotions. Throughout my life I have had to deal with the loss of a girlfriend. Everyday I regret letting fear control my emotions for Morgan, my sixth grade to present crush. In seventh grade I heard she had a crush on me, but out of fear she would reject me, I was mean to her and started to ignore her. For the last 5 years I have regretted letting fear control me.

Throughout my life, fear has controlled me in every way possible. It has controlled me through my emotions, actions, and everything else there is to be controlled. For the rest of my life, no matter what I do, it probably will. I believe in the power of fear.