Janice - Agoura Hills, California

November 11th, 2006 is the day that I turn eighteen years old. After years of waiting for my voice to be heard and for my opinion to matter, I realize that I have nothing to say. Eighteen years of living and I haven’t learned anything of profound mental significance. You see, at this age everything is still shrouded in doubt. Very few things are for certain, even the clothes I wear to the people I befriend.

Everyday, I ask myself “is today worth it?”. Meaning, if I get out of bed today, will something be different? The answer always seems to be “no”. Even if something does change, it’s always for the worst and I slip into a mind numbing silence that seems to fit any quarter life crisis. I feel that today’s youth is being pushed to abandon their childhood and embrace an uncertain and preset future. Whether it be a higher education, marriage or a job in a cubicle, the options left in life are far too focused in one area for any peace of mind.

Being pushed to grow up so quickly, hinders many aspects of living a balanced life. Kids taking Adoral to concentrate better when they study or taking sleeping pills in order to sleep through the night, seems to be far too much for the kids that have yet to pay their own bills or live on their own. Society used to think of those as extreme cases, but after I learned more about the dark side of some of my peers, I realized that they all have been living a shadowed life.

Now, in a top notch UC or an Ivy-League school, all they can ask themselves is “what do you want to do?”. Most of them don’t have an answer. However, with society breathing down their necks and waiting for their every move, it is hard to just try to wait till some subject catches your particular interest.

We like to think we have all of the time in the world. Sadly, we only have the time in our world and we forget that our lives are short and brief compared to the shining stars or the silent mountains. People have a short window of a hundred years to make their mark in the world. Many of us pass through it like a casual breeze, hardly noticed or appreciated.

But I believe in myself and in my generation. Despite the presets of society and the expectations of the older generation, we will triumph and leave our mark without losing touch with the essence and compassion of life. I believe that within my generation, mankind will reconnect and recapture what it means to be alive. This, I believe.