Karen - Monterey Park, California

I am a teenage girl which is why I am proud to say: I believe in shopping. As groceries, clothes, automobiles, electronics, houses, as a search for confidence and individuality. When I’m in a bad mood, I go shopping. When I’m in a good mood, shopping makes me happier. I believe that like sunshine on a cloudy day and finding free money, no day is unpleasant as long as I have gone shopping

I believe shopping can bring confidence. As a kid, going shopping was just an excuse to try on new clothes to pretend I am something I’m not. I would try on dresses and pretend I am a supermodel and strutting back and forth in the dressing room. My mother would humor me every so often by purchasing a dress or two. Even at home I would retry on the dresses and strut around the house with confidence. Since my mother loved shopping, I was at the mall every Sunday morning. In the fitting rooms, I would watch her transform herself just by the outfits she would wear. She would transform from a soccer mom in sweats to a professional business woman in a two piece suit. I could still see the twinkle of confidence in her eye each time she tried on a new outfit.

I believe shopping brings families, friends, and co-workers a like together. Shopping helps strengthen the relationships between individuals. Families such as my own would go out on family outings to purchase new items such as cars, computers, and groceries. Nowadays people hardly go shopping by themselves since a second opinion is always needed. My sister and I will not buy a dress unless we get a second opinion on how we look in it and if it is worth the purchase.

I believe shopping drives culture, not vice versa. It creates various imagines and groups such as: punks, preps, hip-hop, Goths, and jocks. Magazines, commercials, and newspapers promote shopping by convincing us to buy a certain product. Since shopping has been around for centuries, it is the basis for our modern society today.

I believe true shopping doesn’t require anything but a whole lot of walking. One or two dollars may be nice to purchase something small such as a candy bar but window shopping can always be a great way to keep busy and have an eye on a future purchase. I believe if you’re not tired after you have gone shopping, you did not shop accordingly. True shopping requires a lot of walking in search of the perfect item. Shopping for sales are the best; digging through racks, shelves, and maybe even boxes may require a bit work but it will be worth it in the end. Looking at your purchases once you get home gives you a feeling like no other, a temporary high, being satisfied.

It is typical for a teenage girl to believe in shopping, but my belief in shopping is my belief of individuality and confidence. Shopping brings together families, friends, and co-workers a like. It exists in our everyday environment, I don’t think- I know I will never stop or get tired of shopping.