Gwen - Plantation, Florida

Second Chances

I believe in second chances.

For almost as long as I can remember, I’ve had problems in school with bullying and name calling. It was one of the only things I took away from school. It made me defensive, aggressive and depleted me of most of my people skills. I thought that I would have to go through high school being a person I didn’t like and dealing with stuff I really wanted to be over. I wished for a second chance.

Then one day my parents told me that we were moving. At first I was so upset. I was going to be leaving my childhood friends and the home where I had grown up. I went through the whole moving process feeling that way.

It wasn’t until half way through freshman year that I realized that I had changed. I wasn’t defensive or aggressive anymore and I could deal with people in a more normal fashion. It was then that I realized that the move had been my second chance. It hadn’t occurred the way I thought it would but I had gotten my wish. I had been given a chance to change my life.

I’d also experienced smaller second chances. One was with roller coasters. My first time on a roller coaster scared me so badly that I thought I would never get on another one, and I didn’t for several years. Then one day I was at a Six Flags Amusement Park and my friends all wanted to go on the Batman roller coaster. They all looked at me and I said “Sure”. I was nervous in the line and when I got seated but when the ride went over the first incline I was so excited. By the end of the ride I was so glad that I had given roller coasters a second chance. If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have found out that I enjoy them as much as I do.

I believe that everyone and everything deserves a second chance.