Rebecca - Plantation, Florida

It’s the End of the World?

Considering that I am a teenager, every problem that I have is the end of the world. Well, every problem is exaggerated and blown up to seem like the end of the world. So far, it never actually has been. This tendency could be blamed on being young and experiencing things for the first time. It could be blamed on overactive hormones. It could be blamed on thinking I know everything when in reality that is just being naïve. Whatever it may be, it is pretty much a known fact that teenagers feel that every issue is vital to their lives, reputation, and overall well-being. Because it is…at the moment.

Middle school was definitely an emotionally enervating time of my life. School work was becoming tougher and more time demanding. My parents were reluctant on granting more freedom that I felt I rightfully deserved. Girls were starting to learn the power of mean words, and boys were definitely a problem; they were all so cute.

Because of this unavoidable tendency to feel as if my own Armageddon were occurring every time I couldn’t go out on a Saturday night, I have clung to the belief that tomorrow will be better than today.

In the seventh grade, I was searching for a quote to write on a card for my best friend. They were all incredibly lame and cheesy. One, however, caught my eye. It said, “Ask yourself in three hours, three days, or three years, will this really be that bad?”

I read the quote a few times and after a couple of minutes, I realized why it had grabbed my attention. It was so true! All the challenges I’d faced, all the issues I’d dealt with, I’d eventually gotten over. It was true!

Well, I fell in love with the quote. I copied it in big black block letters onto a sheet of paper that I tacked above the desk in my room. Now, every time a problem comes to surface, I glance at the quote. I take a deep breath. I think it through. I remember that I have gotten over problems in the past, and that it is inevitable that I will get through this one too.

I believe in being realistic. Being too optimistic can give way to a let down, and being too pessimistic is simply a lousy way to live. Being a realist is a perfect balance. Instead of jumping to the worst possibly outcome in a situation, I take a step back and examine it from all directions. Is the worst outcome really that bad? Will it matter in three years? Three days? Or even just three hours? Probably not. I know that, in reality, the world is not going to end right now. Being a realist means understanding that life will move on.