Robert - Manlius, New York

During the course of human history, religion has been used to structure society, to provide answers to questions which we can’t explain and to find comfort or protection. Most world religions share the concept of Peace and love for those who are regarded as believers. However from past to present humans have so far been incompetent in being able to comply with this basic idea.

In all the the universal religions that we have studied in school all have basic rules, or codes of conduct. One rule that they all share is “Do not commit murder”, “Do not harm other people”, ect, ect… When I go to church, every Sunday we pray for peace in this world and are told how we can make our lives more serene.

These decisions made by humans in this world affect us directly and indirectly, and our refusal to not accept our own religion’s guidelines is making all of us suffer. In my life religious conflicts have changed the way I live through the day.

On the news a couple of days ago I saw a story about a kid’s religious camp. The scary thing was these kids who looked about elementary to middle school level were being brainwashed into becoming “Warriors of Christ” by super conservative radicals. Not only was this extremely scary to watch and to imagine that these children will be out of high school a couple of years after me but it was also Ironic because this happened around the time of the huge controversy with the pope. He verbally attacked Islam because of it’s radical jihadist when his own religion is doing the same thing.

Interestingly enough the main conflicts in both past and present have been with the same three religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. First it was the Crusades which were ordered by the pope about a thousand years ago. Ever since wars have been going on back and forth between these main faiths. Now in modern times wars are still going on: The civil war in Iraq(which some claim does not exist), the recent invasion of Lebanon, the Israeli-Palistinian conflict, not to mention anti muslim and christian violence occurring all over the world.

I wonder why over centuries man has been able to invent amazing technologies yet throughout this time we haven’t been able to find peace by following our own faiths.

Religion should be a way to find tranquillity and harmony not and excuse for violence. This I believe