Kaitlin - Plantation, Florida

Although some people believe that comedy is only good for a few laughs, I am a strong believer in the power of comedy. Even though dramas and mysteries can be intriguing, they can usually make you sad in the end, whereas comedies usually make you happy.

Laughter is the best medicine; a sense of humor and a bit of laughter has been proven to help prevent heart attacks. Muscles are stretched in our body and our blood pressure and pulse raise and as we breathe faster, we send more oxygen to our body. Laughing is a mini workout. We can actually raise our heart rate and burn calories.

Laughter and comedy are good for you. Norman Cousins, who wrote “Anatomy of an Illness”, used laughter as his medicine. He gave himself a diet of comedies like “Marx Brothers”, “The Three Stooges”, and “Candid Camera” that he says helped him overcome this disease. Norman Cousins, an editor of the Saturday Review, bettered in the power of the mind and the body and had developed a terrible disease that caused stiffness in his limbs, neck, and hands. Norman Cousins decided to take matters into his own hands by viewing laugh provoking films and amusing books. He eventually experienced a relief in his symptoms and regained the movements in his limbs.

Comedy is actually used in some rehabs to help recovering alcoholics. Some stand up comedy is written and performed specially for recovering alcoholics. When you are happy, you think better of yourself. If you are feeling bad, find something to laugh at and you will feel better.

It is important to think and feel good every day. When you think and feel good, you are thinking positively. When you are thinking positively, good things happen to you. When you are thinking negatively, bad things happen. Everything in our life is a result of our thinking, so it is important to stay focused on all of the positive things. Very often, people will just allow all of the negative things to influence them. As a result, people can become very negative.

My dog, Bailey, is a natural born comedian. His entire purpose in life is to make people smile. This is not only good for him, but it is also good for me and the rest of my family as well. He keeps our family happy and healthy. About three years ago, I got food poisoning from my middle school’s cafeteria. It was very bad, I didn’t eat anything the entire time I was sick and my mom tried to get me into two different emergency rooms. Well, because I could not get into any, I went home and lay in bed with my dog. He made me laugh the entire time I was with him and soon enough I felt 200% better. Comedy is one of the best ways to keep us thinking and feeling good and helps us with thoughts that are positive. I believe in the power of comedy.