Megan - Weston, Florida

“The Magic of the Movies”

I believe in the power of films to inspire and teach.

When I was three years old, I learned my first life lesson from the movies. It was my first real exposure to this miraculous world of the theatre where there was no past, no future, and no limits. There was just my mind, open and free.

It was the Lion King. It taught me the “circle of life,” that everything and everyone is connected, and that no one is greater or lesser than another. Ever since my first time walking out of this magical place, I carried that belief in my pocket everywhere I went. I’ve learned to treat everyone with respect and kindness, no matter who they are. It didn’t take long for this experience to transform into a habit.

In 2002, A Walk to Remember was released in theatres. The protagonist of the story, a young Leukemia patient named Jamie, taught me to create my goals. She kept a list of things she wished to do before her disease took its toll. Although her life was limited to the age of eighteen, she still accomplished every single goal on her list. Her achievements inspired me to compile such a list of my own desires, things I want to do during my time here on earth. Setting these goals encourages me to strive for nothing less than my best every single day. Thanks to Jamie’s example, I know I can reach them.

A year later, my life was changed yet again with Tim Burton’s masterpiece, Big Fish. When the main character, Ed Bloom, was a young boy, he visited a house inhabited by a witch, looked into her glass eye, and saw how he would die. Ed lived each day to its full potential because he knew that besides his inevitable fate, he could survive everything else. He witnessed wonders because he was not held back by any fear. Although I have not encountered such a witch, I still hold this philosophy close to my heart, seeing how much I can do if I master my fears.

This year, a fantastic Indies film, Little Miss Sunshine, enriched my life. A member of a dysfunctional family, Dwayne, taught me to persevere towards my goals through any obstacles. Wanting to be a pilot more than anything else in the world, he swore himself to an oath of silence until he reached his goal. When he received news that he is colorblind and therefore cannot fly planes, he breaks his vow to let out anger and anguish. However, he assures himself that if he wants to fly, he’ll find a way to fly. From this powerful character, I’ve learned to do what I love and conquer the rest.

Movies have not only inspired my everyday philosophy- they gave me my passion. My dream is to make movies, to change someone’s life for the better, as mine has been changed through films.

I believe in the magic of the movies.