Michael - Plantation, Florida

When I was little I used to play baseball for my city league, P.A.L. I always wanted to play first base, but I never got the chance. That doesn’t mean I stopped trying. I kept my head high and played right field. Just the feeling of being out on the field was overwhelming and made me feel like was a part of something.

Being a fan and watching a game is a great aspect about sports. Another is having a tailgate party with all different kinds of food, such as chicken wings, burgers, subs, and sometimes ribs. My dad always says, “We love going to tailgate parties and hopefully a game will break out.” And it’s true. My dad and I often love the tailgate parties more than the game itself.

There are also the crazy, “die for the team” kinds of fans. They’re always the ones dressing up in the outrageous outfits, painting their faces, and making the passionate signs with slogans. I am proud to call myself one of these fans. With all my Miami Dolphins paraphernalia, I like to show off everything I have.

Essentially as an athlete, losing a game is hard for everyone. Pouring your heart into something and then getting it taken away from you is the worst feeling in the world. A few weeks ago, the varsity football team at my school, which I am on, traveled to an away game three hours away. The game got postponed which put a damper on our fired up mood. By the end of the game, even though we had put our best efforts into the game, we lost. I never want to travel that far and lose with that feeling of disgrace again.

Before winning or losing, you have to practice and prepare for all the grueling games ahead. High school football or any league of football for that matter, goes through rigorous, tiring, long and punishing days called two-a-days before every season. I had to through this before my school’s inaugural season began.

The thing about sports is that they are a part of humanities greatest achievements. Almost everywhere you look, there is something going on about sports and the impact that it has either on the players or the fans. This I believe.