Legrand - Indianola, Iowa

In this age it seems that there is no such thing as independency no more. People, especially young teenagers seem to have the belief that they need someone to depend on: I really should say the opposite sex. This I DON’T believe! What I do believe in is that you can make it on your own, that being independent can even be better than having someone.

So far in college I’ve encountered many young girls with that problem. They have the mentality that they need this guy in their life, oh that he’s their life etc etc… I totally disagreed with them! I told them, yes its true when you have been in a relationship with somebody for nearly four years they have become part of you. It’s understandable for you to get emotionally attached and have deep feelings for that person. This will eventually lead you t think you are in love, but that doesn’t mean that that person dictates your emotions.

What I mean by dictating your emotions is that, The guy know how you are feeling about him, that he has you where he wants you so he’s toying with you and there u become his personal play toy. Because you are so worried that he’ll be leaving you that you NEED him you get caught up in trying to please him rather than pleasing yourself. This in turn can cause you to be very stressful and distract you from the more essential needs in life.

Now, you have to wake up everyday thinking about this, and what you have to do to have this person that you so need stay by your side. You now start crying about how it’s a one way street with him and that you want an end but you can’t because you CAN’T BE ALONE!

That right there is an unacceptable statement. It’s better as a matter of fact. Think about it, as a young adult in college you are just now learning how to be an adult. It’s the stage of your life where you are supposed to be INDEPENDENT. Also you have so many things on your plate that you don’t need to add someone that’ll because you trouble. That’s one less thing you have to worry about. There goes all your stress and worries and now you can focus on the better things in life and worry about having another person later when you really need it/

So don’t think that you can’t make it on your own in life, because you can. “You make your own Happiness”. You are living for yourself not for the pleasure of someone else. “It’s better to be a 1st rate version of you, then to be a 2nd rate version of someone else”.