Nathan - Brighton, Michigan

This I believe

I really want to believe in generation X, Z or what ever you may call it, I really do, but I don’t. These future leaders are living in a world that for some reason we want to block from them. We are trying to protect them from their thoughts, emotions and themselves. I remember when I was a kid riding my pedal bike around the neighborhood without wearing a helmet. Then when I was older, I drove dirt bikes and three wheelers around my neighborhood until night fell and none of us had headlights.

Drug Company’s that produce anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication have not been nearly as profitable as they have been for generation X or Z in the past. So the companies have found a new market. The percentage of uses has sky rocketed over the past 8-12 years in youths. Why can’t we let them be kids? People are so quick to diagnose children and youths with ADD or ADHD. I believe that adolescents need to deal with changes within them selves and there environments on there own. How can you be able to think for yourself if you are not even your self?

I went to a coffee shop the other day in downtown Howell, which is within walking distance of the High School and Middle Schools. It is a popular thing to do when school gets out, and that’s to walk uptown. There is a new trend in youth’s today and it is something called Emo. These 5-7 Emo kids that walked in the shop looked like a mix of Goth and Punk. I am all about self expression; it’s a way to make your self feel good. But this new wave of Emo, is designed to make you look depressed. I was shocked. They seemed to be having a good time with each other, but when they were not talking to one another they looked so sad. I believe this is encouraging younger kids who look up to there bigger brother and sister who are Emo, that it is ok to look and act depressed.

Each generation has had its bad reps. But they meant something. The greasers were the first to rebel. They would drink, smoke, fight and race each other. Hippies came up to rebel against the Government and the war in Vietnam. The first wave from Europe came in the 80’s and late 90’s in the form of punk’s—even though I am still not sure what the punks were all about. And now today we find the Emo group. I wonder if any of this has to do with the whole Brittney Spears and Christian Aguilera craze that you need to be blond and beautiful to have a good life. I just know that the whole Emo look of a depressed state is a good thing for the drug company’s for even more mass production of anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication. I really want to believe in this current generation of kids. I just hope that when the time comes for them to think on there own that they have a clear and drug free environment to do so in.