A Personal Goal

Pedro - Weston, Florida

Gooooal! Very few people get to sustain the feeling of harmony and perfection that a soccer player experiences as he yells this word out into the open. The first time I heard this beautiful phrase was during an international match between Mexico and USA. It was said by USA superstar Landon Donovan while he celebrated a beautiful goal that gave his team the lead. Since then, I have tried desperately to pronounce it myself, as often as possible.

I can still remember the look of satisfaction and achievement expressed on Landon Donovan’s face the day he scored that goal. Every time I think about it, I suddenly feel jealousy. This jealousy is not the type that causes wrong doings or hurts others, but the one that has enough power to encourage me to accomplish something that no one else thought I was capable of. I feel this because there is a fire ignited within me that desires those feelings of greatness more and more. It makes me want to work hard at everything I do on the soccer field, so that one day I can feel what Donovan felt during his moment of magnitude.

I have gone through thousands of excruciating pains and disappointments while trying to become a better soccer player. I run every single lap as if there were a tiger chasing me, I work out in the weight room three times a week, I have began getting more sleep at night and even began eating healthier as part of a well balanced diet. Donovan’s phrase has turned my whole life around, converting the word goal into just that: a personal goal. I believe that the emotion of scoring a goal in soccer encourages me to set goals in life, and never give up on them until they are achieved.

Working hard to achieve your goals is something many people set out to do throughout their lives; however, only few are able to reach the plateau of greatness where their goals can be found. It is a difficult thing to accomplish this task of mine. It is difficult, not impossible. This is the thought that keeps me from falling off my path to achieving my objective. I try to convince myself that surely Landon Donovan himself suffered as much as I am suffering now, that’s why he is a superstar.

I have always been told that the more you put into something the more it gives back. This helps me blind the pain of hard work and determination day in and day out. All I can think off during a three-mile run is about the quickness that I gain with every step I take and how such ability will help me to dribble out defenders in my journey towards the goal. Since my revelation I have always kept Landon Donovan’s emotionally packed image in my head, and every second it sticks to my mind making the desire stronger. Due to this I will continue to work harder everyday of my life and never give up on my aspiration. Since scoring a goal is my major goal!