Joseph - plantation, Florida

Through my hockey experience I have learned that the deadliest shots are the wrist shots and the snap shots. These shots are equally deadly in every day life. Within life there are two ways to approach every challenge. The first is the wrist shot; the shot where you must analyze what confronts you and determine the most accurate way to reach the outcome. The second is the snap shot. This approach to any challenge is the most inaccurate. You never know what direction the challenge is coming from nor do you foresee its outcome. I believe goalies are the most vulnerable when it comes to wrist shots and snap shots.

Everyday I am forced to use the wrist shot method. Currently, my parents have entered court litigation, both fighting over custody of my brother and me. Living with my father for the past two years, my only desire is to live under his roof. He should be my one and only provider. Because of the lies and abuse my mother has forced me to endure, I do not want to be apart of her life. Defending myself is all I have and in order to help my father gain sole custody over me, I must apply the wrist shot method.

In hockey, I rely on the wrist shot method to succeed. When I come down the ice on a break away, I see where the goalie is positioned and decide to shoot where he is not; the wrist shot goes off and the puck goes in. Likewise on a two on one, I analyze the positions of the defensemen, look to see where they are going and take the wrist shot hoping to score. In everyday life I am forced into the same wrist shot method. I analyze every situation I am confronted with.

As a matter of fact, because of the situation with my parents, I tend to overanalyze all situations. If, by chance, I make a stupid decision, the outcome might get back to my mother. She would then be able to use my childish mistakes against me thus affecting the outcome. The effects of overanalyzing wreak havoc in my everyday school life. When I walk through the hallways of high school, I evaluate my position and determine the best possible path for me to take in order to achieve the best possible outcome. If my mother were to see anything lower than a C on any grade report, or she receives word of any negative behavior, she would use it against me for her own success.

I rely on the wrist shot method everyday. The wrist shot method allows me to take time to evaluate situations, thus making sound decisions. Likewise, it prevents me from making some mistakes that will have a negative impact on my yearning to live a happy, “normal” life with my father. The snap shot method is not a choice for me. At times I do not know where the challenge is coming from, but I do not wish to take a chance resorting to this method. I believe in the wrist shot method.