Suzanne - Vincennes, Indiana

I love this country with all my heart, I just don’t recognize it anymore.

Last week, the horrific news out of a tiny Amish community, and I do mean community, ripped us apart and served us notice that we, and our children, are never truly safe from the insanity that is rearing its ugly head more and more in this place we love. Hasn’t it gone on long enough? Hasn’t it broken enough hearts and families? What do we do to stop it?

When something similar to this terrible thing happened to a classroom full of kindergartners in a tiny European village, the townspeople took very powerful steps to insure that it would never happen again. They learned from their tragedy. For some sick reason, we here never do. What will it take before we come to realize that we all are entitled, by our God-given rights, to be free, to have life, and to pursue our own happiness? When will those who cherish weapons more than someone else’s children come to understand that their second amendment rights don’t supersede everyone else’s?

My heart breaks everytime I imagine the faces of those little girls, those innocent Angels. Thank God they will never have to stare into the eyes of rage ever again. Thank God they are safe in their Heavenly Father’s arms. God knows they were never really safe here. None of us are. None of our children are. We’re no longer safe in our homes, our churches, our schools. What’s wrong with this picture? What has happened to this country?

I believe that as long as one group of people, and the objects they love so dearly, hold the rest of us hostage to their whims, buying their way into the laws of this land, through whatever means it takes, the rest of us will just have to deal with the aftermath of still one more nightmare. This gun-crazy country, and the heartwrenching images flashing on to our television screens nightly, is enough to cause one to give up on almost everything hopeful. But I won’t give up. I believe that, finally, people are waking up to the horror that surrounds them. Finally, good people who love this country, and want it to be everything it was meant to be, are not going to lie down and be run over any longer.

I believe in this country and her people. And I will never give up on her, or those poor little girls. May God hold them, and their families, close to His loving heart, forever. And may God move us to make certain that this never happens again.