Anne - Valley Village, California
Age Group: 65+
Themes: war

I speak from experience as a wife and a mother, when I say: War is a horrible nightmare! My husband was exempt from the 2ND World War, due to the condition of his eyes. However, he felt so very uncomfortable in the extremely patriotic atmosphere that existed in 1942, he enlisted and was placed in the Air Force. We had been married only nine months. I lived in fear as he was transferred from camp to camp. He was trained in a new process of instrument landing of airplanes and luckily was never sent overseas. However, he came back a different man than the one who enlisted.

As a mother I experienced the dread of war again during the Vietnam War. My oldest son was drafted. He turned out to be a crack rifle shot and was placed in the Military Police, or MP, for short. My fear was so severe that he would be sent into the midst of the heavy fighting in Vietnam that I developed high blood pressure. Fortunately, he was sent to Germany where he stood guard, protecting an atom bomb housed there, six hours on, six hours off, around the clock.

Not all wars are just and many are started for profit. War is so very profitable! War activates all industries that manufacture the armaments needed to kill, maim and destroy. In the Iraq War, we are left to wonder why it was a “no bid” situation and only Halliburton alone got the bid. A further question left handing in the air, is why when the United States Government sued Halliburton for charging for meals that were never served to our soldiers, and overcharging in general for all supplies, have we neither heard nor read of a resolution to that suit or additional suits that were later started. Instead we keep giving Halliburton more and more bids.

Yes, war makes some people extremely wealthy, especially those administrations who become very secretive, very impatient, and operate without the involvement of the United Nations organizations. If the Iraq war was just and proper, the United States should have involved all countries to make contributions of men, equipment and money. It would have been a situation of “right” against “wrong.” The Bush administration’s rush to war, their secrecy, their twisting of the facts, claiming an urgency that did not exist, and had neither anything to do with the hunt for Osama Bin Laden nor with the misbegotten individuals who destroyed the Twin Towers and all the people therein, as well as all of the other “hits” that solemn, sad day of September 11, 2001.

I will not be alive when history records and evaluates the Iraq war in its entirety. I believe history will reveal that in the process to bring democracy to Iraq, we in these United States lost ours! Furthermore, instead of solving Iraq’s problems, the rush to war opened “Pandora’s Box” and now the entire world is living in fear of more war, and in terrible fear of the atom bomb getting into the wrong hands. Stupidity and hate reigns!