Richard - Fulton, TX 78358, Texas

The USS George Bush aircraft carrier, USS Texas nuclear submarine and USS San Antonio frigate have all been commissioned this year. Seems like President Bush has really been successfully promoting a Texas Naval history. But what about the rest of “Maritime America?”

Last year U.S. Congressman Ron Paul introduced for consideration the idea to have a Presidential Proclamation for a National American Waters Heritage Month which would recognize all the commercial, naval, and recreational benefits from our American Waters.

Don’t we celebrate Arbor Day for the recognition of trees? I contend that our American waters deserve equal if not more consideration. Don’t our American waters provide us with the opportunity to fish, sail, ski, canoe, kayak, swim and surf. Our national waters provide access for ports, commerical transportation avenues and cruise lines opportunities. The world’s strongest navy calls our American waters home.

Yet there is no Federal recognition and celebration for our national waters. Not one month, week or even one 24 hour period.

How can we as a nation not recognize and celebrate America’s greatest resource???

Do you want your sons and daughters to grow up with an appreciation for our heritages that have been derived our national waters? Would a Presidential Proclamation for an annual American Waters Herigate Month, Week, or Day create this beneficial recognition? How can we be a maritime nation and not have a Presidential Proclamation? Like any national movement, it will take citizen written communication to your U.S. Cogressman and U.S. Senators. Regardless of your gender, race, religion, political preference, you have benefited from American waters. Can teachers and students propel this national idea forward, you bet, call it a civic lesson and opportunity. Just think if every Enlish and goverment teacher in America promoted this idea with an essay assignment for this promotion. Yacht, scuba, canoeing, kayaking, clubs and associations can support this idea.

For the price of a stamp, Americans can get on board to promote a Presidential Proclamation for the recognition of our heritages from American Waters!