Amber - Cullowhee, North Carolina
Themes: peace

Meditation Mends the Pain

by Amber Bishop

Sometimes my life can get a little out of control. I feel like the world is caving in, and I’m going to get trampled if I don’t find a way to escape. Living in the dorms of Western Carolina University can be a little hectic at times. You really have no space to just relax or get away from all the hustle and bustle in the halls, and living with someone you’ve never lived with before can be a real challenge. Stress levels grow when you are forced to live in a building with over 300 people. This is why I believe meditation is essential to surviving a stressful life.

When I first came to college I didn’t know how overwhelmed I was going to feel. Everyday it seemed like more and more piled up on me and I was being crushed by all the heavy-weight stress. In my high school years I had done some meditation to help me in stressful times, but I never knew it would be so useful in the future. About 2 weeks into school I was so overpowered. Eating became a last priority, somewhere close to “sleep”, and there just weren’t enough hours in the day to do what I had to. One day I decided to lie down and meditate.

I turned on some music intended to relax my mind, and I just concentrated on it for a long period of time. It’s awesome to feel all the weight, everything, just lifted off my chest. For a moment there, I had no plans, no priorities, no schedules, due dates… nothing. I got up what seemed like 20 minutes later when my roommate entered the room. An hour and a half had passed since I first laid down. When I got up I felt so refreshed, my muscles were all relaxed, and I could sort out all the things in my head for once.

After doing this two or three times a week, I noticed my work was more efficient, my neck and back hurt less, and I started to have time for the things that I actually wanted to do. The meditation helped me to be more focused instead of having a scattered head, so assignments were done faster, and time management was a lot more manageable.

I believe in weekly meditation for anyone, it helps reduce the stress of work, school, or even children. I’ve realized when you relieve your body, your body relieves you.