Penny - Apple Valley, Minnesota
Themes: carpe diem

I Believe In Living For Today

When looking back upon my life, I have found that I don’t remember my childhood very much. There was much pain, suffering and death surrounding me as I watched my older relatives (and there were many of them), go through some serious financial and emotional hardships, alcohol addiction and fatal diseases, such as cancer. Sure, I had my good days, when life was simple for the moment. However, the first memories that I have about my childhood are not about what kids should be remembering.

I believe that kids can teach us so much about life, love and living. Kids are non-judgmental towards others and often possess wisdom far beyond their years. The most important thing that I believe that kids can teach us is to live each day to its fullest. I have three children, all with special needs. My oldest son, who is my middle child, has Asperger’s Disorder. He is one of the most loving, caring, kind and gentle souls a person could meet and know. Yes, he can get angry at others his own age, but those disagreements do not last long for him. What matters most, amazingly enough, to him is that he and his friends remain friends after a disagreement. Tomorrow doesn’t matter and yesterday is gone and forgotten for him. The same holds true for my daughter, the oldest, and for my youngest son, both of whom have ADHD and other behavior disorders. Each of my children are unique, but they all hold to that same belief: Live For Today.

It took me over 38 years, my own bout with alcoholism, a broken marriage, tragedy and triumph within my family, financial difficulites and failures in business to learn that simple truth that my kids know naturally: Live For Today. I’ve heard it stated yet another way: One Day At A Time. That is what my kids, and my addiction, have taught me. I believe that life is precious and that moments pass by that will never happen again. I believe that every moment should be savored as if it will be our last, no matter how “boring” or “mundane” those moments seem to be. The simple things such as laughing over a silly joke your kids may tell you they “discovered,” watching a movie with either family or friends, telling someone you care about them, or simply admiring God’s amazing Handiwork when watching your kids sleep at night: all should be cherished as special moments. It isn’t about the big moments in life nor is it about what money you bring home in a paycheck. It is about doing the next right thing, as well as wanting and enjoying what you have.

This is what I believe…